Being a Mum is never easy, particularly the first time around.
Being an expectant parent combined with rural living and over 20 miles from the nearest maternity support services can be really tough.
‘Bump-Start’ is an innovative programme supporting families right through pregnancy, the birth experience and the first year of their baby’s life, the programme aims to empower families to give their child the best possible start in life.
We are offering three different workshops all currently online, you can sign up to one or all three dependent on your need. Just fill in the form below to register your interest.
Real Birth Workshop
This program is designed to help promote a positive birth experience irrespective of birthing choices . Mainly it’s about having fun and encouraging women to take control of their birthing process as a normal function of the human body. Run over 3 consecutive days the session will cover:
- What is real birth
- Skin to Skin
- Your placenta
- Perineal changes
- Second Stage of birth
- Physical signs of birth
- Your pelvis
- Birthing positions
- Birth wishes
- Your uterus
- Hormones and birth
- Massage, water and breathing for birth
A six week course, with a weekly session running for 2 hours. Open to all expectant parents, birth partners and family members. The course aims to help expectant parents:
- Think about support that will be helpful throughout the pregnancy and birth
- get to know their baby in the womb
- Understand how their baby is developing in the womb
- Get to know the baby through labour, birth and beyond
- Understand information about feeding and the positive aspects of breastfeeding
- Understand the importance of their emotional relationship with their baby
An opportunity for expectant parents to get together and discuss the practical sides of parenting. This course will run over 3 sessions delivered fortnightly and will inlude sessions on:
- Bathing and nappy changing
- Dressing baby
- Essential and non essential equipment
Key elements of the Bump-Start approach
- Working from pregnancy: in addition to Home-Start’s core training which covers Attachment theory, an understanding of Mind mindedness, Mentalisation and Post-natal Depression, Bump-Start volunteers complete additional modules in maternal and infant mental health, and breastfeeding awareness.
- Family led: Home-Start believes parents are the first and most important educators of their children. Bump- Start coordinators are trained to build on families’ strengths and resources, working collaboratively with families towards their increased confidence and independence. The support we offer is non-judgemental and flexible so that it can meet the individual needs of diverse families.
- Attachment: All staff and volunteers are trained in attachment theory. Bump-Start fosters early bonding through supporting parents to interact with their babies and respond to their needs in a mindful way.
- Therapeutic component*: When a mother is anxious or depressed during pregnancy or soon after having her baby this can have a long-term detrimental effect on the quality of attachment between mothers and babies, and infant development by supporting women through pregnancy we can improve life chances for those children and families.
- emotional wellbeing
- family relationships
- access to services and social networks
- confidence in ability to parent